Winter Plumbing Tips
Central Ohio winters can be brutal on plumbing. Plummeting and fluctuating temperatures cause freezing and thawing that can burst pipes and clog drains. You can avoid these winter plumbing problems by ensuring your home’s plumbing system is ready for the cold months ahead.
Winter Plumbing Maintenance for your Columbus Home
Before your pipes spring a leak or your drains stop working, conduct some basic winter plumbing maintenance around your Columbus home. Here’s what you need to do.
1. Avoid frozen pipes by letting just a trickle of water escape your faucets during the evening hours. This works because moving water never freezes.
2. Disconnect and bring in any water hoses from outside. Use the shut-off valves inside your home to restrict water flow to outside faucets, and make sure the faucets are drained of all water. This helps stop a buildup of water pressure that could burst the pipes in your home.
3. Keep warm air moving in your home. Open cupboard doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate around the water pipes inside. If you have ceiling fans, flip the switch so they run backwards to help circulate the warm air that has risen to the ceiling.
4. If you notice any leaky pipes or faucets before winter strikes, fix them immediately so everything is working its best..
5. Insulate exposed water pipes with insulating sleeves or wrapping to help protect them from freezing temperatures.
6. Close garage doors and/or crawl space vents. This is especially helpful if your water heater is located in the garage. Not only will it help prevent freezing, it will save you some money on your utility bills.
These are just a few of the things you can do as a Central Ohio homeowner to protect your home’s plumbing system from the cold winter temperatures. Of course, nothing prepares your plumbing system more for winter than scheduling a maintenance call with a reputable local plumber. Routine inspections and regular maintenance by a trained professional keeps your home’s plumbing running smoothly all year long.